FIBER-BLU® Agave Inulin
WHAT IS INULIN?
Inulins are a group of naturally occurring polysaccharides produced by many types of plants. They belong to a class of fibers known as fructans. Plants that contain high concentrations of inulin include Agave, Jerusalem artichoke, Chicory, Onion, and Garlic to name just a few. Inulin is increasingly used in processed foods because it’s beneficial characteristics. Inulin is a white flow-able powder that is about 10 to 20% the sweetness of sugar (sucrose). It can also come in liquid form that has a much shorter shelf life and must be kept refrigerated.
In terms of nutrition, Inulin is considered a form of soluble/insoluble fiber and is used in many food products to increase the level of fiber. Many popular food products ranging from cereals to health bars use Inulin as the primary fiber ingredient. Because Inulin is 90% + inulin fiber it is a good ingredient to enhance fiber levels to a (good Source of fiber)
IS INULIN A PREBIOTIC?
Inulin is a prebiotic — a type of plant fiber that promotes the growth of good bacteria in the gut. Because inulin fiber passes through the stomach undigested, it’s a great source of energy for bacterial flora in the gut. This beneficial bacterial flora improves the function of the gut, resulting in better gastrointestinal health.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF INULIN POWDER?
Inulin powder is shelf-stable and flow-able.
WHAT ARE INULIN NUTRITION FACTS?
Inulin is low-calorie, containing only 150 calories per 100 gram serving. Each serving also includes 90 grams of fiber. Agave inulin is also a prebiotic and can help with calcium absorption in adolescents and post-menopausal women.
ARE LIQUID INULIN AND INULIN POWDER NUTRITION FACTS THE SAME?
Yes. Liquid inulin and inulin powder are nutritionally equivalent.
HOW DOES TIERRA GROUP PURE AGAVE INULIN COMPARE TO OTHER TYPES OF INULIN?
There are three main sources of inulin: agave, chicory, and Jerusalem artichokes. While each of the three sources is used to create agave with similar nutritional content, agave inulin is grown and harvested in a manner that is more ecologically friendly. In addition, it’s a much hardier crop than either Jerusalem artichoke or chicory, ensuring a reliable supply of inulin product each year.
AGAVE INULIN VS. CHICORY & JERUSALEM ARTICHOKE
The Blue Agave plant is a succulent plant belonging to the Lily family. It is planted and harvested in 5 to 10 years depending on the use of the plant. Most agave from inulin is harvested from 5 to 7 years.
- No Seeds are grown or processed to plant agave. Shoots from the adult plant are used and hand planted for new crops.
- The cropland the agave thrives in is very harsh making it unsuitable for most plants, so no good cropland is used up in the production of agave.
- No fertilizer is used or needed for the agave plant to grow so no energy is used to produce, transport or apply pesticides.
- No tilling of the topsoil is done when agave is planted, so no energy is used and no erosion of the top soil takes place. Planting is done by hand and only once in 5 to 10 years. Chicory and Jerusalem Artichoke have to be planted, tilled, fertilized and harvested every year.
- Harvesting is done by hand and other than transport by truck to the factory which is very close that is the only energy used.
- Distance from the product source to customers in the United States is vastly closer than Europe or Asia.
- The agave plant is very hearty and draught tolerant making it a highly sustainable crop unlike Chicory or Jerusalem Artichoke which have run into problems over the past several years with draught and shortages. This makes it hard for customers to reply on a steady supply.
- Lastly agave production jobs in an area that is developing and needs job security.
HOW CAN I BUY TIERRA GROUP ORGANIC AGAVE INULIN?
Are you looking for premium blue agave inulin in retail or wholesale quantities? Check out more information about our agave inulin product or contact us for a quote.
Powder Inulin: 25 kg bags, 1000 kg (1 pallet) minimum order quantity Liquid Inulin: 1370 kg Totes, 1350 kg Totes, 285 kg Drums. Contact us for minimum order quantities