Environmental stewardship goes beyond our sustainable organic farming methods, it’s just one way in which we practice that balance with the natural environment. Healthy soil and growing conditions is just as important as our land management, planting, harvesting and production of our product.
Planting & Harvesting
- No Seeds are grown or processed to plant agave. Shoots from the adult plant are used and hand planted for new crops.
- The cropland the agave thrives in is very harsh making it unsuitable for most plants, so no good cropland is used up in the production of agave.
- No fertilizer is used or needed for the agave plant to grow so no energy is used to produce, transport or apply pesticides.
- No tilling of the topsoil is done when agave is planted, so no energy is used and no erosion of the top soil takes place. Planting is done by hand and only once in 5 to 10 years.
- Harvesting is done by hand and other than transport by truck to the factory which is very close that is the only energy used.
When processing the blue agave for our premium products the shredded raw material of the agave pinã is burned in our bio-mass boiler, creating fuel to power the factory. Even the water used in the filtration process is re-filtered and used to water the grounds in and around the factory, saving critical natural resources without having a negative impact on our environment.